Thursday, December 5, 2013

Players Telling Me What I Can or Cannot Do

I can't believe this actually has to be said... Eternal Lands is a game. You play as you choose to play, the only limitations being those in the official game rules.

There are actually people out there who don't believe this.


The absolute worst cases have been those who are high on getting the global quest done every time.


I wrote back in January 2013 about why I gave up on the global. (See: My Lack of Interest in the Global Quest) That post is still relevant, though may be dated a little in what's required for the global. Even still I've seen no changes to that which would change my views about it.

But I posted several problems I had with it. Broken down there was:

  1. The Rewards weren't useful enough for my game play.
  2. The Requirements were just wrong for something that's supposedly for "everyone" to do.
  3.  The "Do It or Lose It" syndrome, that these days is being pushed on players by other players.
Details for why I've had problems with those three reasons are on the link above, so I won't go into them here.

What I'm writing about now, though, is that latter trend of certain players expecting or even demanding that others participate. Some getting all huffy and whiny about others who don't or won't.


Yeah, last I checked, participating in global wasn't obligatory, and just as I wrote in the above-linked post, I won't respond any better to those who try and force me into doing it than I do to the "use it or lose it" threat that tends to loom over every new thing that gets added.

I do not feel the global is worth bothering with in its current state.

  1. The requirements need to be drastically reformed. As I explain in the above link.
  2. The worms... that part needs changing as well as those few who have become privy to a private list of them show some serious snideness when talking about them with those who aren't. (BTW, snide ones, I actually managed to get your list from someone many months ago. I've actually considered posting it just to force that to be changed solely to knock you off your high horses. I'm still considering it. I've never posted secrets here but I will if you keep that snooty shit up.)
  3. Only 1 of the 4 rewards is even kinda useful to me, and weighted against the other 3, I can live without it.
  4. Certain players trying to force it into being an obligation make me want to do it even less.

I won't name names. Those who do that know who they are.


It's become more apparent of late, though. As I posted recently, I'm hitting goals and in the midst of changing my gods in a major way. One of those changes was taking the summoning god, as it and crafting have been ignored for far too long and I want to work on goals for those skills.

Working on summoning when already at level 62 by default means a lot of time on Arius Gypsum Mountain.

Oh yeah, the global ones end up there a lot as well, since gypsum was deemed the only harvestable that was worth being over-required in the global, both by itself and for potion mixing.

So since I started working on my summoning levels sitting up there mixing, I've come across more than a few asking if I'm harving for the global, if I wanna work with them to carry it to storage, and so on.

My answers:

  1. No, I'm not working on the global. I have my own goals to work on.
  2. No, I'm not helping with the hauling or harving of gypsum just because you are doing it.
  3. No, your attempts to push me to do it after I have said no will not influence me to help.
  4. Oops, I accidentally added you to my ignore list on purpose.

No player has the right to tell another player what to do. If I wanted such game play, I'd be in a guild.

 I definitely don't take kindly to such people. Zero tolerance for them, even. I don't play a game to be forced to do things. I do nothing that's not what *I* want to do. It's a game, not a job.

I have no qualms in ignoring and bot-banning players who do insist on this, though.Asking me is one thing, trying to force me to work on it is another. Once I've said no, that's my final answer.




My current goal for Summoning could require up to 2.2 million gypsum to harvest. Less of course depending on Summon days and access to other ings. Regardless, just like those 100+ summoners who sat there before me, I'll be up on the Arius mountain a lot in the coming months, so I expect to end up having more people end up on my ignore list. No, with my current goal in place I won't be harving for a global quest that I don't find worth doing. Pester your guildies, that's what guilds are for. I'm not in your guild.


You don't nor won't see me saying the global should be removed. As I posted before, I'm not the kind of person who asks for the removal of something just because I don't personally do it. I've stated my opinions on why I personally feel it's not worth it for my own game play, and those reasons aren't necessarily applicable to others.

But in the same way that I don't demand it be removed, I expect not to be demanded to participate. Just because it's important to you doesn't mean it is to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your EL name when responding!
Responses which do not include your EL name will be rejected.