Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sorry, No, Never Again

Sat in reading room yesterday morning to get the Attack Reduction Potion book read (would have taken 30+ hours outside of the room).

Made a few batches of the potion. After discussion with some other potioners, deemed the ingredient cost to be about 630gc per potion, and to sell at 700gc.

And I began to advertise them.

The nightmare began.

(1) No documentation on them, so I ended up having to respond to dozens of people with "duh, what's that?" PMs.

(2) After being nice and taking the time to explain it to them, I got to listen to their bitching about how expensive they are, how little they do for the cost, and "no way I'm gonna buy that" messages.

Personal note to every single person who did this: I am not interested in your goddamned bitching. I didn't decide what they do or how much they'd end up costing. Who the hell do you think you are to waste my time with your damned whining? And what the hell makes you think I wanna hear it?

(3) In the end, that was the majority of my day, wasted on yet another potion that ends up costing way too much for the very little it does.



I regret buying the books. I regret making them. What I've got left is gonna gather dust in my storage because I sure as hell am not advertising them just to go through more of that. And at the moment, I'm seriously regretting that I started the Defense Reduction book yesterday because I don't want to make them and I can't read anything else for a while because the book takes too damn much time.


An ironic touch to this, the first PM I got when I made my first market ad (I was the first to offer them for sale) was from another potioner who thought the price was too low, and wanted to sell them for 1k-1.5kgc. They won't even sell for 700gc...


FTR, I did end up selling 14 of them. (22 still in storage to gather dust.) Those 14 were to two players, and likely like me just "trying anything once".



There's a horrible trend going on in-game where every single new thing added has to be so prohibitively costly that noone wants to use it. There's a difference between expensive and just plain not-even-close to being worth it. These pots fall under the latter.


If you ever see me again "pioneering" jumping at the chance to be the first to make something new, grab your bow and a fire arrow and shoot me with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your EL name when responding!
Responses which do not include your EL name will be rejected.